Monday, May 27

The Pool Game

With a coy little smile she enters the room
where the boys are playing the game
gathered around the felted pool table
cue sticks and baby powder on their hands
she watches the game, cue ball striking hard
colored balls dropping into baskets like bullets
and with her hand on her hips she pouts
until a boy notices her displeasure and
lets her join the game
he curves his arms around her body
and shows her how to shoot
with care he lets each word out of his mouth
explain how to aim
the first time or two she scratches
and laughs, she's a novice
what can she do?
But when the boys place a bet
her eyebrows furrow
her lips purse
and she begins to shoot
straight, hit the ball
make it bounce
let it ricochet off the side
angled shots
hard shots
impossible shots
and clack! clack! clack!
one ball, two balls, three balls
make it in
The girl extends her hand
as the boys begrudgingly pull out their wallets
with shocked and pained expressions
having to pay up


Shared at http://withrealtoads.blogspot.com/
and at http://dversepoets.com/

19 comments:

  1. Oh!! yeah.....lovely ending.......boy's must have thought that they will earn some bucks ..but it was all Topsy turvy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girls are taken to be easy meat! The boys must have taken a jolt to think it was pay-back time! Nicely Charleen!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is fabulous I could totally picture it =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Been there, done that! Spent my first year of university learning how to play pool instead of attending lectures, and I've never regretted it. I like to beat boys at their own game :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha! Very charming story, well told. k.

    ReplyDelete
  6. haha...teach them to judge a book by its cover...
    they got suckered...

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a cool poem, and a cool subject. I've been the victim of this girl, of that I'm sure. Wonderful write!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. She did a great job acting like a novice. A very fun read. I have seen this happen many times. Thanks for the great poem.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My daughter learned to play pool when she was six. She became a little pool shark in no time, but I never allowed betting! Funny how the boys were taken in, simply because she was a girl... she played pool well, and played THEM well. This was charming and very real. Thanks for linking up at Toads, Charleen! Amy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Been there, done that! Yes'm, I been hustled by a pretty gal!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that. I would say this was one smart girl!!! (And a terrific pool player too.) Never underestimate the power of a woman. This poem really made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So it is the power of femininity . . . or is this really about pool?
    I defer to the lady.
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like how the story moves. A great write.

    ReplyDelete