Thursday, May 2

Rejoice

This is the day
This is the day
That the Lord has made
That the Lord has made
I will rejoice
I will rejoice and be glad in it
and be glad in it

The voice of children's singing wafted through the air, reaching the old man who was at this time crossing the street. It was a Sunday morning and a Sunday school class was in session.

The old man pondered to himself. Is it really a day for rejoicing? At his age he found himself poor and forgotten. Too old to work and lonely ever since his wife had passed away. He frowned a little as he neared the church building. He would cross in front of it on his way to the liquor store.

Just inside one of the little singers became a little distracted. Fidgety Penny Williams always had a hard time sitting still during devotions. Without the teacher noticing she summoned herself to one of the glass windows and peered outside. With her brown curls and red ribbon atop her hair, the little doll was quite a sight to see.

"Why is that man not in church?" Penny cried out when she saw Mr. Treppit. "It's Sunday school! Everybody should be here!"

The window, being cracked open to allow the spring breeze to permeate through, allowed also the shrill voice of Miss Williams to carry through to the ears of the deplorable Mr. Treppit.

Quickly he turned his head towards the building and saw the young child.

His heart gave a stir as he recalled his own grandchild. How many years had it been since he'd last seen that little one?

"Hello!" Penny called through the window. "Aren't you coming to Sunday School?"

Surprising himself, Mr. Treppit replied, "Why, you know? I think I am."




Shared at http://www.theme-thursday.com/

6 comments:

  1. I think God uses a lot of children to spread his word.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked this very much... beautiful, sentimental writing from the heart!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Charleen,

    I think this is truly a heartfelt story and shows that God does work in mysterious ways. Children are definitely God's little Angels and is probably why we call them that. I know when my grandchildren hug me that I feel like an angel is hugging me. I loved how this story unfolded and how he was reminded of some wonderful things in his life.

    Thanks for sharing such a wonderful story with us for this weeks Theme Thursday and for reminding us how God's little Angels can work to change someone's life and that we must try to remember to keep them in ours. I hope your week is filled with lots of little angels showing you things and also giving you hugs.

    I am hopefully finally starting to get better and over this bug we caught.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete