Friday, April 5

Late



Warm tropical winds sweep through the campus breezeway as I make my way to class. I round the corner and there, in the patio, I see a friend sitting at one of the tables enjoying her lunch.

"Hey, how's it going?"

"Great! How are you?"

We begin to chat and and make up for lost time. Then I hear it, the clock tower is singing 12:30. 

"Listen, I've got to go now. My class starts in 5 minutes," I tell her.

"Oh, I guess I should get moving too. My class started at 12:00."

I give her a bewildered look. How could she have spent the last half hour taking to me when she was supposed to be in class? But then the answer came to me: culture. She was raised in a culture where time is just a number, not a domineering force that pushes and pulls us along. People and relationships are infinitely more important in her culture than attending a lecture. And for good reason too; the support of people will get you a lot farther in her culture than any degree or certificate. I shake my head as I continue my way to class. Such a difference to the way I was raised, where time is money and where tardy is a swear word. But I smile, nonetheless, because this afternoon I am grateful that she made the choice to sit and chat. It has made all the difference.



Written for http://www.theme-thursday.com/ 


2 comments:

  1. interesting way to look at it and certainly it was her choice and I admire that you did not lecture her. To many people want to forc their ideals on other people instead of accepting and trying to understand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know it is funny that you write about this because I have always wondered why being a little late is not as important to me as it is to some people and I just cannot seem to explain it. But I think this explains it so well in that for many of my ancestors this is how they were raised and so my parents were the same way and so we are too, while my hubby is the exact opposite and cannot stand to be late for anything and almost always has to be early. While I am ready for a siesta, I see others rushing around and I just want to tell them to slow down and enjoy the life around you. There is so much that you miss when you rush on past it all. Life is fleeting so enjoy every minute while you have it, for once that minute has passed on by you can never get it back again. There is that saying "to stop and smell the roses" which is telling you pretty much the same thing. Also I think that much of the stress experienced today would be gone if people just slowed down and enjoyed life for a few minutes each day. I have always been amazed by people who pull out their date books, now I think it is on their smart phones and they have to look up a date to even see if they are free to do whatever someone is asking them about. I have never been able to keep one of those because I do not seem to know what I will be doing five minutes from now, let alone five weeks away.

    Thank you for reminding us about life for this weeks Theme Thursday. It is definitely better to start enjoying it now instead of later when one is too old. Hope you have been having a great week.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete