Sunday, January 6

Mother


   
     The others think I'm frightful. They fear for their lives. "There's something wrong in her eyes," I hear them whisper to one another. I'm not half as dangerous as they imagine. Really, I'm as harmless as a little bee. Maybe I'll sting a little if I  over exert my emotions, but in the end, it is I who bears the brunt of any outburst of sentiment.
     They say I am a loner. To this I concede. It'd give me so much pleasure if everyone would just leave me alone. I like to be by myself. My mother was that way. She had her own place in the house and when she got into her mood, she'd go there and none of the children were to perturb her. They won't let it be these days, so rather than be at my home with my little Henrietta I am here, forced to take up company. 
    It's such a shame. To separate a mother from her baby. They say it's for her own good, but who knows whats best for ones child better than the mother of that child. I know it may have seemed strange that tears flowed freely from my eyes since they brought her to my arms, but that just shows my love! How can a mother not grieve over the birth of their child. Pitiful thing. Born into such a dark, dark world. I almost wished I hadn't birthed her. Not because I don't love her, but because death is such a more noble achievement in this dark age. 
    I remember when they told me they were taking me away. They said I had become a threat to myself and to Henrietta. They said I could hurt myself and that I wasn't looking after the babe. Lies! All of it- lies! They don't know my heart, they don't understand my pain. I suppose no one can.

Written for The Mag

   

14 comments:

  1. Confessions of a misunderstood misfit!
    Did you see the film 'The Martian Child'? It was just brilliant on this theme of not fitting in, trying to make sense of an abandoned world while desperately attempting to fit in somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never have, but I guess I'll have to now! Thanks!

      Delete
  2. Well done...love the name Henrietta...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very captivating piece here.. My eyes were glued to the screen... It felt so surreal and so mysterious.. There's an eerie sense of darkness here that I like!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, the demented hide behind inviting eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very well written- you had my full attention!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh but sometimes those little bees take the biggest bites! I like the sense of worry- and frailness- and yet it breathes an inner beauty of want and desire too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh well done! My full attention also.

    Anna :o]

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want more...this needs a sequel! Stunning writing indeed!
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome. Mine had a mother and child theme as well, but completely different. Really great writing, a bit chilling, and leaves one wondering if she's crazy or not...always leave them wanting more ;-)

    Tina @ Life is Good
    http://kmdlifeisgood.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete